Saturday, January 16, 2010

Barrow Race thoughts

"Why?" I asked myself as I drove through the persistent heavy rain towards Barrow. The temperature was about 4oC, mist hung over the fields, it was dark despite the time and everything just looked grey.

It could be that I'd said I would, or that the Soar would be in spate, or that is started and finished at a pub, serving bacon, sausage & burgers with decent facilities, or to support a local race or ... Who knows?

Max, Ricky & Julie also turned up, so I wasn't the only Nottie paddler there. I was going to be paddling an unfamiliar (heavy) boat - no rudder to help, in unfamiliar kit, buoyancy aid on a bit of river I hadn't seen for 30 years. I was still asking "Why?"

At the briefing, the question got louder - the canal paddle to the start was still frozen & kids had been seen walking on it so breaking through seemed unlikely. The river was so high that the footbridge just after the start was only passable by limbo dancers in low-line boats. This all meant that there was a long walk on an icy towpath & footpath to get below the bridge.

Getting the boat on the water, straight off the footpath was little problem, but getting into the Wavehopper that someone had stuck thigh bars to unequally was. However the footrest was adjusted, it was impossible to put equal pressure on both legs, so steering was a bit grim in one direction. Why?

The banter at the start sort of took my mind off the burning question, but being last off with little chance of catching anyone gave time for it to return.

The first 200 metres reinforced the question - shoulders stiff, needing to steer hard with paddles, breathing hard ...

I remembered places as I passed them, but in such quick succession that I was at the next before I had time to take them in. Yes, that's why. It's fun, the water's flowing fast, it's passing quickly, it's a bit of a challange today, it's different from my usual paddling.

No idea where I really came, Rick was first junior, Max 2nd, Michael 1st Senior, Julie 3rd (I think). I got a gong and a mug, not really sure what for, being the oldest, being 1st senior in a Whopper, surviving? Who cares. It was great to paddle with other people enjoying themselves, many in touring open canoes. The welcome made up for the cold weather. It was better to be out there, paddling, than stuck inside. That's why!

See course on Google Maps
See photos
See results on The Boat House At Barrow pub website (not done yet 17/1/10)

No comments: